Friday, July 2, 2010

Field Trip Friday

I have decided to add a new weekly feature to my blog called
 Field Trip Friday

My husband and I have been lucky enough to have the weekends and most weeknights to spend together and we have been trying to get out to explore our new 'home' as much as we can...on a budget of course!
Field Trip Friday will be away for me to document and share our adventures in CA.

So, with out further ramblings, I present the first Field Trip Friday.

Mel's Diner & Runyon Canyon

We started our day by meeting our friends, Steven and Taylor, at Mel's Diner off Hollywood Blvd. I had a chocolate milkshake, which almost came back to haunt me when we started hiking up Runyon Canyon. My husband warned me that milkshake+hiking was not a good idea, but I didn't take his advice.

On the way up to the hiking trial my husband noticed a lady walking up the hill with a small group of people...but it wasn't just any lady, it was Kat Von D! Kat is a tattoo artist and has a TV Show on TLC called LA INK. She is officially the first celebrity that I have seen since we moved here.


Runyon  Canyon is located behind Hollywood Blvd. At it's peak it has a clear view of Downtown Los Angeles, Beverley Hills and on a clear day you can see all the way to the coast.


Getting to the top was a struggle for me. I am skinny, but I am not physically fit and my thighs were burning even before the half way point. The view was excellent and well worth it. There was also a lovely breeze that helped cool us off.


Water helped too.


After the hike we got frozen yogurt at a place called 'Cantalope'. A few blocks from the Canyon is the original house where Nightmare On Elm Street was filmed. Carl and Steven got a kick out of seeing it in person and getting a few photos taken in front of it. I felt like a weirdo standing on a residential street taking pictures in front  of a strangers home...but then one of those 'Hollywood Tours' vans pulled up and also stopped in front of the house, so I figured the owners must be use to it by now.

We had a great time and have made plans to try to make the hike a regular activity!


2 comments:

  1. It's great to see some of the local flavor, but more seeing you!! Enjoyed reading about your adventures dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny about the "milkshake" advice...but then I thought it was even funnier that you had "frozen yogurt" afterwards...lol Those views were wonderful at the top of the canyon. I luv the photo of Carl being a geek in front of the house ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, please leave a comment.