Sunday, July 25, 2010

His and Her Dinner #5

Welcome back for another edition of



‘His and Her’ Diner is a weekly feature that highlights my culinary skills and my outstanding wifely abilities to please the very picky eater I call my husband! At least once a week I attempt to make a meal that will satisfy our very different tastes by making 2 dishes out of the same base ingredients. Enjoy!

This week I wanted to show you a glimpse at how I prepare ‘His and Her’ Dinner. Our kitchen is very small and has limited counter space (Another reason why we don’t have a microwave, no room). As you can see below, the kitchen is “split”. On one side are the refrigerator, sink, and stove. The cabinets above the sink hold all of our dishes. The only counter space on that side of the kitchen is almost unusable because it’s in the corner and hard to reach, especially if I’m using the stove. Across the room is another set of cabinets where we store our dry grocery goods above and our pots and pans below the additional counter space.


Here I am preparing the chicken. I have a little phobia when it comes to raw chicken. I put paper towels under the board so that it doesn’t slip around and under the package of chicken so it doesn’t touch the counter. After I cut the chicken up I then proceed to wash my hands repeatedly…kind of OCD.


When we first moved to California, all of our pots and pans were packed up and in North Carolina waiting to be shipped out to us. The first few months before our stuff arrived we bought 1 pot and 1 pan to cook with, and I can’t tell you how hard it is to prepare a meal with limited kitchenware. It is so nice having a variety of sizes of pots and pans to choose from and to be able to use all of them at once if I want. I typically use 2-3 at a time depending on what I’m making, but on ‘His and Her’ Dinner nights, I tend to have to use 4 as you can see.


Now, for the main feature!

His: Grilled Chicken with Lemon Butter Sauce and Fried Rice (Rice-A-Roni)


Her: Grilled Chicken with Lemon Butter Sauce topped with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese, Fried Rice, and Broccoli

(I put my food on 2 separate plates because I don't like certain food to touch.)
I tried a little sneaky trick tonight…but it kind of backfired on me. In order to make the lemon butter sauce I added a “small” amount of goat cheese to help thicken it up. Thankfully, Carl was in the living room and did not see this or he would not have eaten it. After he cleaned every bite off his plate and assured me that he liked the sauce I confessed that I had put goat cheese in it. BIG MISTAKE! I spoke to soon and should have waited until he ate the sauce a few more times before making the confession. He said he wont be able to eat it again, it’s a psychological thing. Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for visiting and until next week, Happy Eating!

3 comments:

  1. Looks good to me!
    Angela
    www.sewloquacious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a great tip...melt the butter in the pan and then add cornstarch to the lemon juice in a shaker and add it to the melted butter(to thicken it)...works every time and no aftertaste or DH issues ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank heaven we never had picky eaters. There are few things my husband and I won't at least try.
    I made zucchini cookies (an oatmeal chocolate chip type cookie with shredded zucchini) for a squadron gathering for new students. Before I got there, the commander was eating them and telling my husband how great they were. He had at least 6 and probably more. When his wife and I were there he came over, cookie in hand, and told his wife how great they were. She asked me what they were and I told her. He looked at the cookie, put it down and never ate another bit. He didn't like zucchini. I don't the mindset of liking something when you taste it, but not liking it if you find out it contains an ingredient you don't care for.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, please leave a comment.