Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sunny Saturday

Last Saturday was a beautiful sunny day here in Burbank. I spent several hours on the patio reading To the Tower Born by Robin Maxwell (review to be posted soon). A little after 1:00 PM my husband and I both had a craving for our favorite little bakery, Porto's. I thought I would document our visit since it seems to be the new 'staple' thing to do on sunny days. The photo's I took did not turn out very well, so I have found some courtesy of the Internet.


We walked there via Magnolia Blvd. It's only a few blocks away which makes it dangerously convenient for us. There have only been a handful of times that we have gone there that the line wasn't 30 people deep. However, they have an amazing staff that quickly but attentively takes care of everyone...they have never gotten our order wrong.


Porto's has an amazing selection of breads, pastry, danishes, anything and everything sweet, as well as a full menu of soups, salads, sandwiches, and beverages. Carl usually gets Potato Balls or Meat Pies and has recently been finishing the meal with their individual sized Flan. I hate to admit it, but I always get the same thing, a Feta Sandwich. It's made with their fresh baguette bread, feta cheese, basil, red onions, tomato, and oil. I pick off the tomatoes. If you order a sandwich and eat it there it comes with plantain chips. YUM!

http://sfvguide.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/portos-bakery/

The place was packed that day and we sat outside in the shade to eat. I enjoy sitting outside and people watching when it is cool enough. I had on a tank top and shorts and I had to laugh when we saw people in jeans, long sleeve shirts, and even a girl in a sweat shirt! It was in the 90's! Maybe we are still "new" here and our blood hasn't thinned out yet, I just hope I don't think the 90's are "chilly" in a few years. I also can't imagine what summer heat feels like if this is just spring heat.

We walked home via Clark Ave just so we could have a change of scenery and there are more trees on that street to offer us some shade. Almost everyone who lives here seems to have a gardener or a green thumb...neither of which I have currently. I had to get the camera out and take a picture of this persons roses. They were huge and so beautiful.

After our little adventure down the block I curled back up on the patio with my book and Carl puttered around the house for a bit before settling down and watching a movie. It is Saturdays like this one that we love.

1 comment:

  1. Great post...makes me want to go to Fresh Market and get a Strawberry Cream Puff...miss those! Sounds like a great place to eat and a great way to spend a Saturday with your DH :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, please leave a comment.