Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Against my better judgement...

Against my better judgement I watched 30 minutes of the TLC show Sister Wives. Why? Why? Why?

You may remember that I wrote a TV Tirade a few weeks ago about how quality TV programing has gone down the toilet and my former love for TLC has dwindled. I am now thinking about boycotting TLC all  together. I really thought I would give it another chance, but I think a straw just broke the camels back.

I didn't watch it on purpose...here's what happened. I came home from work, turned on the TV, went into the other room to read my back log of blogs, took a break by plopping down on the couch, and Sister Wives  happened to be on. I've seen it on the news lately and how they may be facing criminal charges for their life style so I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt and watch a few minutes.

I would like to say that this show makes me sick to my stomach...actually I may have just thrown up in my mouth a bit. If you don't watch TV and have no idea what Sister Wives is then I will summarize it for you. It's about 3 women who have been brain washed and whose self esteem is so incredibly low that they believe it is OK to let their husbands marry multiple women. The husband is a douche bag. I'm sorry to use such language...but he is. He is a  man whore who can't keep his pecker in his pants. Shame on him. Shame on the women. Shame on their parents for raising them in a polygamist household where they were brainwashed into believing polygamy is OK. And shame on TLC and it's viewers who supported a TV show like this.

I can't believe I watched 30 minutes of it, I feel dirty and I think  I need to shower to wash the show off of me and out of my head. IT'S CHEATING!!!!!! What woman in her right mind can go to sleep at night alone in her bedroom knowing (and maybe hearing) her husband lay with another women in another room. Add to that the fact that the husband is "courting" a fourth women. Go figure, the wives have a problem with him dating. Who would have thought? Multiple marriage is okay but not dating?

I am tempted to  delete this post because I don't want to give the show any more publicity or attention than it already received...but I'm too fired up to keep it to myself.

I did stop and think, "Am I prejudice?, Is this the same as religious intolerance?". I don't know, I don't think I am being prejudice or religiously intolerant. I don't care about the religious part of it...because they don't mention that at ALL on the show. It just makes me think of places in Utah with gated communities where they force young girls to marry and breed (yes, I said breed because they aren't procreating for the joy of life...they are breeding to get more bodies into their cult like religion).

Okay-I feel better now. And just in case you were wondering why I am so fired up about this show, you may blame it on PMS.

5 comments:

  1. I saw them on Oprah (I record Oprah and watch it later); the first wife admitted that she has some doubts and feelings of jealousy (who wouldn't?) especially now that the 4th wife has been added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda here from Messy Aprons. Thanks for entering the giveaway. I'm looking forward to hearing about your Chowder! If the chowder is spicy, I would call it “Potato Chowder on Fire!” It sounded spicy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cortney, I'm with you. It's all very suspect to me. I believe that the line between accepting other religious beliefs and exposing those practices as fraud is very fine. In my understanding, they keep the religious aspect of their beliefs fairly quiet because of the sensitivity with which they exist. If they out themselves AND their church, they lose their support system. That said, I do believe that their beliefs in plural marriage as a form of religious practice are unfair. I agree with you that this man does not seem to be practicing plural marriage in order to solidify his place in the Heaven in which he believes. He may do so behind closed doors, but I just don't see that. I think TLC's goal with this show is to sensationalize plural marriage. Even HBO's "Big Love" also highlights the religiosity behind the practice. Kody Brown says, "love should be multiplied, not divided," and I'm not sure how he justifies plural marriage as doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy...well I've got to tell ya...I watched the last two episodes for the season and I really don't have a problem with it. If it works for them...who gives a crap. Why is their sexual/marital lifestyle any different than gay marriages? If it works for them...go for it! There may be some "cults" that push the younger girls into these marriages but there are also some gay molesters out there as well as some straight folks who cheat on their marriage vows. There is no right or wrong here and they are not pushing their lifestyle...they are simply informing the curious public as to how and why it works for them. The children all seemed very happy and healthy because they are in a loving environment. I would much rather have this than abusive parents from a single marriage. We are not anyone's judges...leave that up to God. I guess you need to ask yourself why you are reacting to it so strongly...hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one thing I like about TV. I can voice my opinion by turning it off like you did. I hate that some teeny bopper out there, either male or female,will see this and our young ones idea of what is acceptable will be more mixed up.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, please leave a comment.