Monday, August 23, 2010

His & Her Dinner #6

Fear not, it is the return of...

It's been awhile since I've written for 'His & Her Dinner'. I admit, I haven't been doing much cooking lately especially since Carl's work schedule has been so crazy lately. If you've never read a 'His & Her Dinner' before, welcome! This episode will be a little different than usual. Typically I show you how I make 2 meals out of the same base ingredient...but this time I will be featuring my husband and I enjoying one of our famous 'Fend For Yourself' nights.

We went to the grocery store late in the day yesterday and we didn't really have a plan of attack when we went. This resulted in us both grabbing whatever we were craving at the moment. We really only needed coffee and paper towels, but $110 later we left will all kinds of goodies.

It's rare that Carl and I drink, it's even more rare for me to drink but Carl was in the mood for a beer (or three) last night so he picked up a 6-pack of Bass. I thought, 'what the heck, I'm going to try some wine'. After reading a few bottles, I picked up a Rose wine by Yellow Tail. It said that it went well with appetizers and looked like a good stating point for someone who doesn't usually drink.

So, His & Her Dinner started off with these fine beverages.
And since we are such classy people this is how I had to drink my wine...

That is the only glass we own...other than a coffee mug. We had wine glasses at one point in our lives, but when we downsized to move to CA, any unneeded glassware had to go. Since we don't usually drink, the wine glasses went first. Oh well, tastes the same no matter what you drink it from right?

Now, on to the entrees...

Hers: Basil pesto and fresh mozzarella bites


His: Tater tots

I told you 'Fend for Yourself' night usually results in him eating some kind of potato product!

And there you have it folks, a classic 'Fend for Yourself' Night. Might I add that shortly after my husband finished his tater tots he proceeded to open a bag of potato chips and chomp away. Typical!

I hope to return to the kitchen soon and create a few new dishes with a little flavor since my husbands taste buds are expanding (see previous post), until then

Long Live the Tater Tot!

4 comments:

  1. Great photo of you with your kool-aid wine...lol btw...did you like your wine? You didn't really say ;) I'm with Carl on this one...tater tots and beer...YUMMY! I'm such a salt freak and frech frys, chips and beer in this heat...PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a huge fan of the wine. It tasted okay when I let it settle on my tounge for a few seconds, but to be honest I would have rather had a diet coke. We want to go on a wine tasting tour since we are in CA so I'm trying to taste some on my own first so I don't feel like a complete idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it... tator tots and potato chips... sounds like some of the meals I had during college. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to commend you the other day on your attempt to quit smoking. My husband's sister quit cold turkey after smoking for over 50 years. She never picked up one cigarette. The point being, it can be done. I've never smoked so I can't relate. My son quit chewing tobacco, and I'm so glad. I hope you can hang on and not start back.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, please leave a comment.