Saturday, August 7, 2010

T minus 2 days until my 21 Day Challenge

I had the brilliant idea to join a gym as part of my challenge plan because I know I wont get off the couch otherwise. On Wednesday I went to LA Fitness to see what they had to offer and before I knew it I had a membership. I found it amazing what kind of "deals" they throw at you...I didn't buy it for a second, I know you give everyone this sales pitch and try to make everyone think they are getting something for nothing, what a crock! Just give me the basic rate please! One of these "freebies" they give out is a 1-hour consultation with a personal trainer. I planned on starting at the gym on Monday, but they talked me into coming today (Saturday, 2 days before I begin my 21 day challenge). This is how it went today...

I bought sneakers (I didn't own any) and put on a pair of shorts and t-shirt and headed to the gym. First things first, I had to get my Body Fat Measured. This involved me sharing my height (5'9"), my weight (145?), and my age (27) with the personal trainer. Then I squeezed this gigantic video game controller until the magic number 24% popped up. This 24% puts me in the fair category for body fat...and I'm okay with that. The trainer then proceeds to tell me that to get to the excellent category I have to be at 18% which will take 6-12 months.

Now, at this point, I don't care about my body fat percentage. I just want to move on a regular basis to prevent weight gain and help heal my lungs. I don't need to loose weight, I am, for once in my life, comfortable with my weight and clothing size. I wouldn't mind firming up, but that is not my priority right now.

We then proceed to the workout portion of the appointment which consisted of the following:
  • 3 minutes jogging up and down a flight of stairs - I was fine for the first minute, then my legs started to burn followed by my lungs.
  • 4 sets of alternating 25 jumping jacks and 10 push ups - I didn't think I could do push ups, but I did...all of them.
  • 3 sets of 30 second 'mountain climbers' - hate these!
  • 4 sets of 10 reps using 5 lbs. weights for my arms
  • 3 sets of 30 second wall squats using a balance ball - I could hardly walk up the stairs after
  • Then I got a little break while he went to grab the 15 pound weight for the next activity
  • 10 lengths of the wall side stepping in a squat while holding the weight straight out in front of me
  • 3 sets of 30 second TORTURE! On the floor resting on my forearms and toes holding myself up
It was suppose to be a 45 minute session, but I think he got the hint that I was ready to be done when I told him I might vomit at the 30 minute mark!

The workout was followed by a little sit down where he tried to sell me personal trainer sessions. I already knew going in that this was why they offer the free 1-hour consultation...they make you feel as out-of-shape as possible so you think you need help getting fit. Well, I didn't buy it. I told him 1.) I need to do this on my own and self motivate otherwise it wont work, 2.) Too expensive *it was $39-$59 per session and, 3.) If I got a personal trainer I would quit because I did not enjoy this workout. I want to enjoy the gym, not be afraid of it.

So, part of my goal is to prove to them (the personal trainers) that I can do it on my own. I am committed to going to the gym 4 times a week and working at my own pace. My pace might be slow at first, but at least I'm doing it.

I deserve a bowl of ice cream and a nap now! Please join me on Monday as I start my 21-Day Challenge!

Thank you to everyone who left comments and kind words of support, I thought about you  today and it helped!

4 comments:

  1. OMG...I'm laughing "with you"...really ;D It just reminds me so much of Peak and all the bull that they try to push on members. Like you said...you have to do it on your own or you will not maintain it. Having accountability on your blog is all you need for any futher "outside" motivation. Hope you can walk tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL !!!!!~!!!! And don't let them sell you nuhtin honey! I'm rooting for you! (I'm also very proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! You're inspiring me to start my own 21 day challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am desperately out of shape. Need to do something similar, but know going to a gym isn't it. I have the equipment here at home, I just need to USE it. I'll be cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, please leave a comment.